.

Thursday, December 19, 2019

Where I Am I Now - 1501 Words

Where Am I Now? When I think about assessment I think about rubrics. Rubrics are an outline of what I aspect students to accomplish during the task at hand. When they complete the task, the students will receive a point value grade that reflects what they accomplish on the task. However, according to Craig Huhn (2005), â€Å"assessment means being keenly aware of what students know and understand, having sufficient evidence of this understanding, and offering a grade that accurately reflects this†. As a Family and Consumer Science teacher, mainly food courses, I found that I partially meet Huhn’s definition of assessment. In all my food labs, I use a rubric to grade the students. Each kitchen receives one lab rubric, five to six students in a kitchen, and I tend to grade them as a whole. It is very difficult to make sure I have sufficient evidence of understanding and accurately grade each and every student. At times, I feel that the â€Å"meaning of ‘points†™ has shifted students focus away from demonstrating what they have learned and toward collecting as many points as possible† (Huhn, 2005). At times I feel that students and I tend to lean more to â€Å"points† instead of making sure they can demonstrate what they learned. I would like to understand how I can have students fully recognize that the main goal is to walk out of the class knowing more than walking in to the class. Where Are We Going? Our goal is to logically create a valid and reliable assessment program for aShow MoreRelatedWhere Am I Now?1891 Words   |  8 Pages†¢ EQ #1: Where am I now? In many education systems, there are always some commonalities- regardless of the politics within that particular school setting. One significant commonality is through the grading system. The idea of assessing a student based on their value of knowledge and comprehension has been gradually overshadowed by the point values in general. We are teaching in a world today where students are more concerned with the amount of credit they are receiving for an assessment rather thanRead MoreRacial / Cultural Identity Development Model1212 Words   |  5 PagesI am a Hispanic woman who if I am honest have a lot of self hate for myself and my culture. â€Å"Internal racism has been the term used to describe the process by which persons of color absorb the racist messages that are omnipresent in our society and internalized them† (Sue, 2016). I grew up in a small border town where stereotypes are made. I never experienced much racism because we were the majority. However, looking at it n ow I have a lot of self hate, and I always identified as white growing upRead MoreLife Before to Life Now1208 Words   |  5 PagesLife Now Life Before To Life Now Michelle Porter PSY 202 November 8, 2010 LIFE Life Before To Life Now As I continue to reevaluate my life and all that I had dreamed and hoped for myself when I reach my mid thirties, I did not think I would be still in school trying to get an education. Reflecting back on my past experiences and decisions I made I would have done a lot of things different. Life seems to bring about maturity, perseverance and determination in people and I believeRead MoreLeadership Reflection811 Words   |  4 Pagespaper reflects on the following questions: What do you think is your passion? Why do you say this is your passion, as it may be manifested in your personality, personal history and lineage? --- As I was reflecting on this intently, I came across this online article from Harvard Business Review where Peter Drucker, one of the most influential people in the area of modern management, talked about the topic on managing oneself. And an excerpt from this article below quite interests me the most. Read MoreIs Home Valuable? Home?1623 Words   |  7 Pagesvaluable. Now it is quite interesting because home, in physical terms, is just a shelter to us so what is it that really makes home valuable? To me, home is so valuable because of the family within your home since you truly do not realize how important your family makes home, home until you leave them. About a month ago, I went from living with my family in a nice household into moving two hours away in a small dorm room and officially making this empty, unfamiliar new space my â€Å"home†. Now before I leftRead MoreThe Death Of The Yacht1521 Words   |  7 PagesApril 3rd, 1966- â€Å"As I depart from the New York Harbor in Vida the Yacht, I hear the screaming voices of the city becoming one mumbled echo; becoming a wall pushing my boat further and further away into the freedom of the sea. The disconcerting, explosive screams of a city enraged, shrieking, â€Å"make love not war† soon decrescendos into the calming, humming winds of the ocean. All that those people are rioting for, I have found. Peace. Just a few miles out from where they stand. If only everyone couldRead MoreMy Experience At A Retail Store Essay970 Words   |  4 Pages3. Your vision-hustle- the thing I need to say yes to is being optimistic. The future scares me so much I don’t step out of my comfort zone when it comes to my job. I figure since I am making money and I am able to go shopping freely and save for a vacation I am planning why fix something that is not broken. I am happy where I am with my job right now but I don’t think it’s where I want to be. Therefore, the side door I have not yet opened is applying to a retail job. A few towns over there is aRead MoreThe Rainbow Fish : Character Traits1315 Words   |  6 Pagesthink character traits are? (I am going to get out my anchor chart and refer to it.) In my own words, character traits are descriptive words or phrases that help us understand a character. Looking at what the character says, looks like, feels, and does can help us identify their character traits. While I am reading The Rainbow Fish, we are going to look out for different character traits, and I am going to write it these character traits on this chart right here. (I am going to get out my other chartRead MoreI Want For Attend Bryant University877 Words   |  4 PagesToday, I find myself as a junior at Bryant University. It was a journey to get to this point, attending two schools and multiple of classes spreading across various topics. In the past when I have looked at my future in regards to a career, there was a lot of unknown. I have changed that through the help of my families and professors, the most important people in my life. Each day my view of the future gets clearer and more confident. I choose to attend Bryant University because I knew of theirRead MoreReflection On Practicum Reflection1000 Words   |  4 PagesAs I write this reflection on Thanksgiving break I ponder my experience throughout this practicum and how thankful I am for this opportunity. Throughout this experience, it has put me out of my comfort zone. I learned at a summer conference that if you are comfortable in what you are doing you are not learning. Well, I have been extremely uncomfortable all while learning a plethora of new knowledge. This practicum has brought me new involvement in committees at our school and helped me in finding

No comments:

Post a Comment